Wednesday 19 November 2008

Russian Beauties

On Friday Bonhams, London, are having a Russian art auction, here are some of the beauties for sale:


Autumnal Fishing by Andrei Nikolaevich


Moonlight Reflections - Migirdic Givanian



Sunset by Mikhail Markianovitch

These three paintings are all pre 20th century and to me are so evocative of the grand, romantic pre-revolutionary Russia depicted in 'Golden Age' literature by the likes of Dostoevsky, Tolstoy and Pushkin. The last reminds me of Pushkins epic poem Eugene Onegin:

'Tatyana...
Loved Russian winters with great passion:
The sun-lit hoar-frost on frozen days,
Sledge rides, and from the sunset's glow
The rosy radiance on the snow'

6 comments:

Megan said...

I don't know much about art, but those pictures are beautiful!

Janine / Being Brazen said...

WOW, stunning pictures

Keki42 said...

All the pictures are beautiful but the last one is truly gorgeous, especially when looked at in connection with the Pushkin excerpt. Almost makes me wish for snow.. (but I think I'd rather have the painting!;) xx

With Love from New Orleans said...

Um... I will take them all thanks.

Ps. I left you a gift on my blog. Hope you have a wonderful day!!

The Cwtch said...

They are lovely aren't they? I love the different lighting in each one, gorgeous!

Rachel said...

gorgeous. and how funny. seems I am going to a Russian art event tomorrow night! x