Friday 5 December 2008

The Friday Picture

Well it's Friday .. again! I can hardly believe how quickly the week has gone!! The temperatures here in Wales have dropped over the last couple of days and we even have a forecast for snow! At the moment I can just hear the patter of the rain on the velux windows above me but I am holding out for some soft soundless snow. Growing up in Belgium we had freezing winters, I remember being wrapped up from head to foot, literally, with just a hole in my snood for my eyes to peak out of! We lived very near a park; the grounds of the old summer palace of the Belgian royal family. The park is absolutely beautiful with lakes and woods and beautiful old buildings. In the winter the lakes would freeze over and we would skate on them in our moon-boots. When it snows here, in the Vale of Glamorgan, we generally have just a light dusting that lasts for a few days. We have to go to the Brecon Beacons aka the mountains for 'proper' snow, the kind that you can build snow men out of, sledge down and craft snowballs from for lobbing at friends. I love this fabulous picture taken by Ralph Moorse in 1942 at the Timberline Lodge ski club party of snowbound fun...

3 comments:

Janine / Being Brazen said...

great photo.

Hope you had a fab weekend

MouseClark said...

Fab photo - makes me want to go and play in the snow.
Sadly it is just freezing here today but no snow, it's -7 but feels like -15'C with wind chill - brrr!!

The Cwtch said...

oooh minus 7 is cold!!!!! and wind chill - blimey! Make sure you wrap up warm! Layers and hot water bottles are the way forward!

The coldest I have ever been was when I was visiting Moscow when I worked in consultancy (pre-chef days) it was my first trip there and I had no real notice that I had to go ... and so no proper cold weather clothing. It was minus 20! I was determined to see as much as possible though and on a day off tramped through the snow covered red square to see St Basils Cathedral. Oh it's beautiful but ten minutes in and I couldn't feel my hands or feet anymore! I had to take refuge in Lenin's tomb next door!