Friday 10 October 2008

Something for a Friday Afternoon ...

*Musician in the Rain*

Robert Doisneau (1912-1994), was one of France's most prolific reportage photographers. With his lens he captured moments in time, absurd idiosyncrasity, love and life in the streets and cafe's of Paris. He wrote: "The marvels of daily life are excting; no movie director can arrange the unexpected that you find on the street." We often look to experience other lives through film, television and literature, forgetting that it is out there all around us ... if we just look. I wonder what marvels I will find this weekend ...


*Le baiser de l'hotel de ville (Kiss by the town hall) 1950*

6 comments:

Nikon said...

Doisneau is amazing, I love his work. The French gave us Cartier Bresson, and Brassai, too!

Quail said...

I love the kissing photo. I suspect the photographer sat in cafes and people-watched for many happy hours!

Janine / Being Brazen said...

Stunning photos. I love the way the musician is holding the umbrella over his instrument and not himself.

The Cwtch said...

Doisneau is amazing - a wonderful photographer, a real collector of moments. I love both these pictures too quail and brazen.

Nikon, I am a huge fan of Cartier-Bresson, I went to an exhibition of his work in London some years back and was just enthralled! Brassai I do not know but I will definitely check him out! Thanks!

etre-soi said...

Bonjour :)
Thank you so much for the lovely comment you left on my aller-retour blog, it made my day and in a perfect french.
Of course you can post about my photos and poetry as long as you link to my blog there's no problem about it.
Merci beaucoup, votre blog est superbe aussi on s'y sent bien !

The Cwtch said...

Merci beaucoup Sofia!